Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Decisions Decisions.....



Throughout these past 3 months, we have been put on the spot with decision after decision after decision.  New job offer, do we take it, do we move, do we sell our house in Haliburton, do we rent, do we buy again, do we wait for our house to sell before we buy again, do we buy in town or in the country, do we build or renovate... now that all of those decisions are taken care of... we took the job, we moved in with my sister for 2 months, we listed our house in Haliburton, renting was going to be too expensive so we bought again, bought what we could afford for now until our home in Haliburton sells, a 7 year old raised ranch right in the town of Strathroy with 3 beds, 2 baths and a finished basement.  Not our dream home as we have neighbours everywhere, but something that we are going to have to live with for the next few years until we save enough money to maybe build a house.  If those decisions were not hard enough... I have been struggling to make an even more important decision.  Do we send Lincoln to school this year?  He was registered for JK in Haliburton, i had to un-register him.  I had to register him in Strathroy... but didn't know where as we hadn't had a house until yesterday (confirmed) so it was just a general registration until we found a place.  If we were still in Haliburton we would be sending him to school because the support he got there would continue into the school years.  New to my knowledge here, in the Thames valley District, is that, due to majour cutbacks, once Lincoln starts school, He will no longer receive the support he needs to continue to develop at a average rate.  Speech pretty much stops when he starts school!  Lincoln is so close to talking (i think i say that every time, but for real... we are SO close).  I have had meetings upon meetings with new therapists, social workers, schools etc.  and the other day I was told by a professional that perhaps Lincoln should wait until next year to start JK because if he was in daycare for another year, he would receive full time support from therapists.  Its really got me thinking and wondering if that would be the best thing for him.  He is not yet potty trained (he was, then we moved, and he lost interest again... - but on the plus side, when we showed him our new house, he asked "dad" to show him the toilet because he had to pee... he.has.never.done.that!!!!  so this is exciting).  It will give us another year to work on that.  Lincoln and Zack wouldn't be going to the same school anyways because Zack is going to the Christian School in strathroy - which, with our double mortgage, just isn't going to be affordable this year.  My husband supports whatever decision I decide to make, but am finding it hard to make one.  I do truely believe that he could benefit from another year in daycare - so we can get the support he needs for now, and start kindergarten next year when he has a bit of a vocabulary.  I am open to opinions and thoughts to help me make my decision (which has to be SOON!)


Thanks Everyone :)

3 comments:

  1. I work in the mental health field and I am currently dealing with a case where there isn't much help being provided by the school board. I understand that going to school is an important milestone in "normal" development, but you are considering what is best for Lincoln. If you put him in school, he may not be able to learn to speak as quickly and because of the major transition may even regress in his development. (Unfortunately I have seen that happen too). I would recommend keeping him in daycare one more year. Having said that, I wouldn't know what to do if I was the parent. That is a tough decision. But ultimately I don't think it would hinder his social and academic skills to keep him in daycare, but you may need to work hard to provide him with the learning materials that he would do at school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that everything is coming in place for your family, I do not
    envy your upcoming decision on school or not this year. I am sure you
    will make the right decision for Lincoln. We are really missing you
    guys here in haliburton, the daycare is not the same without him.
    Sending lots of hugs and kisses for Linc and Parker too! Lots of love
    Janine and fellow staff from Wee Care.

    ReplyDelete