Friday, October 31, 2014

More 'ups' than 'downs'

Well, I did it, 31 days of blogging,  and only 1 re-post.  The harsh reality of it is... now its NOVEMBER!!!   When I first entered the world of Down syndrome almost 5 years ago, I really had no idea what kind of journey I would be on.  As I was thinking back to when it all started last night, it came to me that i really was unaware of the 'reality' during the time when we first received his diagnosis.  I was blank - and I know that I can't blame myself for that.  There were so many things going through my mind in 2 days, that it was impossible for anything to really sink in.  It was like a constant "OK God... whats next..." my mind was just too busy trying to figure out everything.  Everything was so new to me as a mom and i didn't know what to expect next.. In 2 days, my mind juggled Down syndrome, pneumonia - what are normal oxygen levels anyway... why are we in an ambulance, how does my baby have a heart murmur - his heart has been "healthy" for 10 months - or has it..., x rays, blood work, new doctors, nurses walking into our room with masks and gowns because we were quarantined, why are we not allowed to leave the room, am I pregnant again, when do we get to go home... it was just so much, that nothing really set in.  We were surrounded by people who cared.  People who knew what was in the best interest for Lincoln... and after the 5 days we spent in the hospital Down syndrome just didn't matter to us.  Pneumonia was cleared.  His heart got 'fixed'.  Blood work results never came back (that's a good thing), we were home, and I was in fact pregnant again, only to lose the baby 2 weeks later.   God certainly had his way of testing me.  Testing my faith and hitting me hard with every single thing that had happened  all at one time.  But,   really, God is the one who got me through it!   When I started reading up about Down syndrome, I recall coming across a post where a mom of a new born was telling her story.  From a diagnosis to pneumonia to heart surgery.  I cried as I read her post, as I thought 'I couldn't even imagine going through all of that...' only to realize that, yes, that was me... I did go through that, only my baby wasn't a new born.   

I wasn't really ever bothered about the fact that Lincoln wasn't diagnosed right away.  Sure, I questioned it, but who wouldn't?    I went through 25 hours of labour, the nurses were switching shifts just as Lincoln made his grand appearance, and maybe each nurse thought the other nurse did the regular screening of the hands and feet or whatever.  I don't really know - nor do I care.  My life has Down syndrome in it, and I couldn't be enjoying this journey any more than I am.  I remember being so excited shortly after we got home from the hospital.  Excited because every new milestone was going to be something so majour, and there was not an ounce more of love that I had left to give - he was getting it all.  There are even days where Down syndrome doesn't cross my mind.  We are who we are.  We are loved by all those that matter, and in most cases, Lincoln is respected and accepted.   His life is not much different than any other.  Sure, he is seen by a paediatrician twice a year - when he is not sick, and he has tubes in his ears that are preventing him from constant ear infections and build up,  but that's so he can thrive with speech.   Sure he has therapy to help him, and there are yearly blood tests, but that's just to rule out common illnesses that can be associated with Down syndrome like thyroid problems and leukaemia.  We don't know much different,  and we will take it.  If all of this means Lincoln will be the best he can be - and if all of that means research has come this far and even farther, i WILL take it.   

After reading all of that - you're probably wondering how i can say that there have been more ups than downs...   Lincoln came into this world to make a difference.   By sharing our story.  By speaking in front of people.  By writing an article for  Right to Life...I'm pretty sure we are making a difference somewhere.  All because someone like Lincoln is proof enough to me that even though we have been down, we have experienced many more ups.  We are here to make a change.  To show how having an extra chromosome doesn't define who you are or what you can be.   His family loves him, we love him,  his friends and school love him, his therapists love him, but whats even more - God loves him.  He was created just the way he was meant to be.  We love our life, and all that has been brought in to it - thanks to Down syndrome.  Our therapists aren't just therapists, they're friends.  Our doctors aren't just people, they're educated, and they prove to show they care.  

Even though today is technically day 31, we really should never stop raising awareness.  I bother with all this awareness because I want people to be so aware of Down syndrome that one day we just won't see it anymore.  I wish it to be no big deal so that when you meet Lincoln, or any other individual with Down syndrome,  you will see them for who they are, and not what you think they are going to be like thanks to stereotypes.  I want you to see his beautiful eyes, his awesome sense of humour, and all of his love for life.  Together we can accept.  We can show love and respect.  We can trust, listen to, understand, and defend Down syndrome.    Because inside Lincoln is a force so powerful, its infectious. 






Thank You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment