Monday, March 21, 2016

Seeing past the "cute"

Today, March 21 ( 3 / 21 ) is World Down Syndrome Day.  The reason for this, as you may know, is because of the 3 copies of the 21st chromosome that make up the genetic condition called Trisomy 21 (also known as Down syndrome).  Today is a day we join people all over the world.  We raise awareness, wear funky socks, and take the chance to educate others on what Down syndrome really is... and if you're lucky, you'll see lots of cute pictures and posts about people who have Down syndrome.

Here is a picture of Lincoln, climbing a rope at the park the other day.  Cute right?
I love cute pictures of kids with Down syndrome.

As Lincoln's advocate, I enjoy sharing on his cuteness because cute is the first step.  Cute gets noticed.  Cute helps you get past your stereotypes.  I love that people look at Lincoln, maybe notice Down syndrome, and then smile.

But then what?

All kids are cute, and easy to smile at.  So you notice, your eyes light up, and you walk away. You are no further educated than you were before he put a smile on your face.
So, I'm writing this because I want to raise awareness, and I want to change perceptions.  I want people to see Lincoln, and to know that our life is beautiful.  I want people to know that I am happy.  That Lincoln is happy, and We, as a family, are happy. The truth is, and I can say this because I am experienced... Down syndrome is so much more alike than different.  The impact of joy he has put in our lives is immeasurable.  Sure things aren't all rainbows and butterflies, but the positivity and energy and joy he has brought into our life far outweighs any of the challenges we have been through.

I share, and raise awareness because I don't want you to be like me.  I don't want it to take half a life time, and suddenly realize you're not the same person you were before Down syndrome entered your life.  I am 32 years old, and it took me that friggin long to learn what empathy really is.   I never actually put myself in the shoes of another person to understand how they feel. You see, before Lincoln was born, I didn't know what Down syndrome was.  I didn't educate myself, and I didn't care to.  But today, if you ask me what Down syndrome is - i could go on and on about the beauty, the loving, compassionate, rewarding, heart warming, charming, annoying, pestering, stubbornness, loving life impact that it has seriously had on my life.

Lincoln plays an important role, not only at home, but in his community.  I believe he has far more friends than I do.  We don't go anywhere - and I mean ANYWHERE without someone saying "Hi Lincoln"  and I love that.  Sure most of who say hi are kids, and kids are oblivious to Down syndrome at this age, BUT - its inclusion, and thats where it starts.  Its getting past the cute face, and the grin that gets him out of trouble time and time again, and seeing the ability.  Seeing his life has value and that just because he may be a little bit different, he is just as much the same.

So get past the cute face.  Learn a little.  Educate yourself.  Educate others.   Because I am convinced that with enough awareness, we can make a difference for the future.  So go on - and LOVE on Down syndrome.



No comments:

Post a Comment