Monday, November 7, 2011

The joys

Well, as Down syndrome awareness week comes to an end, i can truely say that I am happy with the choice of blogging everyday during.  I have had over 700 visitors on my blog this week - which is amazing!  even if it was the same 100 people every day of the week, thats 100 people who got to learn more about life with Down Syndrome.  I have also learned a thing or 2 that I didnt know already this week. God is in the business of changing hearts, and a sprinkling of people with Down syndrome among us is one way he uses. Hopefully by reading my blogs you have gotten a different prespective or clearer view on what Down syndrome really is. Some people think the idea of having a baby with Down syndrome is about the worst thing that can happen to a family.  But I can assure you, it isnt. WIth the prenatal screening made available to expectant mothers, the abortion rate followed by a positive in womb diagnosis, about 90% would terminate the pregnancy.  I thought this was a pretty high statistic, but after much research, 90% seemed to be the majourity.  SHOCKING!  We did not have the prenatal test done, if we did, would we have found out?  Perhaps.  Would we have terminated?  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  Down Syndrome children are a miracle.  Chromosomal anomalies are known to be the single most common cause of miscarriages. Historically, about 50% of miscarriages were thought to be due to abnormal chromosomes.  While Down syndrome is the most common trisomy seen in liveborns, it too carries a significant risk of miscarriage. Approximately 25% of fetuses with trisomy 21 will miscarry or be stillborn. so miracle?  I think so!  People with down syndrome are just a little extra.   A little extra enthusiasm, a little extra innocence, a little extra charm. Oh, and did I mention an extra chromosome? The most important fact to know about individuals with Down syndrome is that they are more like others than they are different.  Its hard for me to narrow down the joys that having a child with Down syndrome has brought to me. To be honest, my entire world is more joyful because of Lincoln. I have met incredible people as I have walked this path with my amazing little boy. I have learned life lessons that no one could have taught me in any other way.  If I could pass one unexpected joy onto a new family just beginning this journey, I think I would pass on this...
When you receive a diagnosis of Trisomy 21, whether prenatally or shortly after birth, you learn that your child will take longer to achieve certain milestones. Many people say it is a mourning process that takes place as you realize your child may be late to walk or talk, or read or write, or gain independence. You are immediately launched into a world of predictions when the reality is, there are no predictors for this new baby, any more than there are for any other babies. So, you begin. You read and research and talk to other people. You learn the new language. You sign up for therapies and intervention. And you start to realize that it will be o.k. Its o.k. to take it a bit slower and to meander through the milestones instead of racing through them.  It has been so joyous to see Lincoln move through his milestones a bit slower. He smiled very early but, he took his time learning to walk. He lives in the moment every day. 
So many firsts, and so many more to come. 

Thank you so much for reading!  please feel free to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment