Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Sharing the Joys

Having Down syndrome in our life is nothing short of an adventure.  But, then again, being a parent is nothing short of an adventure.  There is no written 'right' and 'wrong' guide that comes along with it.   Theres the constant wondering if you're doing things right, or if you are raising them properly, or maybe they're not doing things they should already doing.  I often wonder if I am doing the right thing.  If I'm a good mom.  If my kids will have awesome memories of me when they get older.  Sure, people tell me I'm inspirational, and that Lincoln was a gift from God (which he undoubtedly is... but so is every child) and some may think they could never do what I do,  but I don't consider myself a supermom - simply because I am not.  I'm just a mom doing the best I can.   When I think of the numerous doctor visits and struggles we hit along the way, I wonder if I did the best I could, I still wonder if maybe Lincoln could have been diagnosed sooner than he did, and if he would have thrived more as an infant had he've been.  But I know God had a plan, and this was part of it.  Everything that happened, seemed to have worked the way they did.  We never really struggled and even though there were tough days, and weeks... everything still turns out.

Having two boys, one who happens to have Down syndrome has opened my eyes to a beauty I hope you can understand.  Truth is, I don't look at my life as being 'different'.  I don't know it any other way.  I have been blessed to be on this journey, and an opportunity to share the positives that come along with living with Down syndrome.  Lincoln will be 6 years old next month.  How he has gotten so big so fast is beyond me, but I assure you, I haven't lost count.  He has taught me so much in his 6 years, much more than anyone could have ever taught me.  In the beginning, this whole thing was brand new, and yes, sort of scary.  But I want you to know how his love for life, compassion for living, and his interest in learning goes so much further than all of that. 

I dream of a world that includes, and embraces every individual for who they are.  Both of my boys are everything I could have ever hoped for in children.  Lincoln is so much stronger than I could ever be.  He has a kind heart, and a happy loving life attitude.  I know a Down syndrome diagnosis may be arise a bunch of questions and cause confusion to a pregnant mom, and be scary for a new mom who's "perfect child" dream takes a turn, but Down syndrome is much more than the stereotypes.  If only we could get rid of the stereotypes that are out there, and replace them with all of the things that Lincoln is beyond them so that we can enjoy the positives they have to offer.  


Today is Spread the Word to End the Word day.  I don't mean to say the R-word (retard/retarded) is about pin pointing individuals, and I'm not going to try and control the things that you say, but its an opportunity to educate and spread awareness so you can learn that its just not ok, and the word hurts  So please, think before you speak.

Take the pledge at to end the R-word at www.r-word.org  -  Lincoln thanks you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment