Wednesday, March 18, 2015

What Living With Down Syndrome Has Taught Me - WDSD 2015

Its almost World Down Syndrome Day!!   March 21 marks World Down Syndrome Day (WDSD) every year  (because March is the 3rd month, and on the 21st day - 321 - 3 copies of the 21st chromosome).  Everyone around the world takes this day to celebrate the individuals who live with Down syndrome.   So we will be celebrating.  Celebrating all that Lincoln has taught us.  Celebrating differences, celebrating abilities, and just celebrating everything that he is and has to offer.  

Lincoln has taught me oh SO much during his short little life so far.  Most of all, patience.  I used to get "rushy" or "pushy" when it would take him forever to do something I know he can do, but I've come to terms - that thats what is actually slowing him down.  Don't rush him.  Just don't.  Simply because... you can't.  He has always stood on that top step, gathering his balance, singing a song - or contemplating something in his head before he takes that first step down.  Not only that, but he takes his time coming out of school, takes his time going to the bathroom, takes his time getting in the car and walking from point A to point B... just to name a few.   I have patience.  And a great deal of them.  I have invested hours and hours of time just waiting.  But that's ok.  The amount of time Lincoln has invested in and walking and talking and everything else he tries extra hard going, gives me even more reason to have these patience.  Besides, now we literally get to live in, and enjoy every single moment.

Lincoln has taught me what family really means - unconditional love.  If you would have asked me 6 years ago, if this was the family I had envisioned,  I would have said no.  It may not be the life I dreamed of, but its way more beautiful than the life I had in my dreams.  The joys we endure, and the things we accomplish as a family far out weigh the pain we have ever had to go through.  We have a real kind of love, and its deep.

Lincoln has taught me acceptance...and with acceptance, it leads to awareness.  When we accept one another as equal, our perspectives become real.  We can learn from one another.  We can listen to one another and respect each other.  We can allow ourselves to be aware of others experiences - instead of judging by what we see.
Its taught me not to stare at the child having a tantrum in the grocery store.  Not to stare at the person in the wheel chair.  And not to stare at someone who may look a little different to you.  We all deserve acceptance.   Learn to love everyone or at least tolerate it.  Everyone deserves a chance to be happy.

Lincoln has taught me to never give up.   He is such an inspiration to be the best and bring the best to everything.  He has worked so hard to get to where he is today.  His determination to do things he wants to do has not only inspired me, but many other people around him who have been with us on our journey.  His life has impacted so many other lives in his young 6 years.  He inspires others to do good.  He shows the world how full of light and love he is.  He brings happiness to not only to us, but to those he is around.   He has honestly pushed us to be better people.  To see that the grass isn't greener on the other side.  Its all in what you give.

So, Lincoln... I want to thank you.  Thank you for teaching me patience, acceptance, unconditional love, and to be the best me I can be.  Thank you for teaching me the things it sometimes takes people an eternity to learn.

So, on March 21, I am inviting you to help celebrate with us.  Wear your funky socks, share an article about Down syndrome, read something about it.  Tell someone how Lincoln has impacted your life - or someone else you know who happens to have Down syndrome.  Acceptance starts with us.   And celebrating is a great start.

HAPPY WORLD DOWN SYNDROME DAY!!





No comments:

Post a Comment