Wednesday, November 7, 2012

finale... a word from Mike




Well, the week is coming to an end (the blogging week that is - relax, its only Wednesday!!)  My house is a disaster, laundry awaits being folded, and I am fresh out of ideas to blog about.   I have been begging my husband to do an entry all week - in which he declined because he doesn't like putting his thoughts out there.  I received a text today from my cousin saying she loved my everyday blogging.  I asked her for an idea, and she told me "Mikes point of view" ... So I guess I convinced him that people care about his thoughts - and anything he says is in his own opinion, and people can't judge!


 Mikes point of view 
"Where to start... 1st, the hardest thing was not being given the news, but it was facing everyone after the fact, and telling people.  I couldn't tell people for about a week straight without getting a lump in my throat or a tear in my eye, I played duck and hide and avoided people simply because I just couldn't say it.  I couldn't say 'Lincoln has been diagnosed with Down syndrome'.  I love him for who he is, and knowing that, didn't change anything.  Lincoln is a wonderful child who loves to watch me when I am working around the house and always wants to help out.  Whether it be picking up rocks, or chopping logs, he's a tuff kid and is always willing to lend a helping hand.  I don't research things about Down syndrome.  I take it one day at a time.  To me, it doesn't matter whats in the future.  Just that we enjoy our lives and live every moment to its fullest.  We all laugh with Lincoln, but sometimes I cant help but wonder if we may be hurting his feelings.  Sometimes I wonder if I worry too much.  Maybe I do, but that's how I feel.  I feel that I always have to watch him when he plays as he gets excited and forgets about his balance.  I also feel I have to watch him when he plays with other kids to see how they interact with each other as I am very protective over him, but I try not to get in the way.  I love that no matter where we are, even in a crowded room, as soon as I enter, and we make eye contact, He gives me a big smile and says "daddy" with a sigh of relief.  I'm sorry, but I am a man of few words and like to keep my emotions and thoughts to myself.  Just know that Linc is awesome, and is treated no different than Parker.  I only worry more about Linc and his health, getting sick, and his gross motor skills - even though they are well on their way."

Its been a challenge blogging all week - Its been a busy one! Thank you SO much to everyone who has been reading all week long.  Thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement and open hearts to accept people for who they are.  We've hit close to 800 viewers this week, and to me, that means a great deal!  There isn't much that I do for the community of Down syndrome - mostly because there isn't much around Haliburton, so the fact that a message is getting across to raise awareness-because of me, is so awwww-some and makes me feel like I'm actually getting a word out!! 

I'll end it with a poem I found today that I thought I would share with you :

Creed of Babies With Down Syndrome
My face may be different
But my feelings the same
I laugh and I cry
And I take pride in my gains
I was sent here among you
To teach you to love
As God in the heavens
Looks down from above
To Him I'm no different
His love knows no bounds
It's those here among you
In cities and towns
That judge me by standards
That man has imparted
But this family I've chosen
Will help me get started
For I'm one of the children
So special and few
That came here to learn
The same lessons as you
That love is acceptance
It must come from the heart
We all have the same purpose
Though not the same start
The Lord gave me life
To live and embrace
And I'll do it as you do
But at my own pace




No comments:

Post a Comment