Monday, November 5, 2012

no big deal


When I first started to blog, I wondered what people would think.  I wondered if people would actually be interested in reading what I had to write, my thoughts, hopes and dreams.  But as I go through my stats, there has been over 4000 people who have read my blog!  They even go into detail, and there are readers in the Netherlands, Australia and even Russia!  Its crazy to think that people around the world are reading "my story" - so... thank you!!  I started to blog as an easy way to connect friends and family with the progress Lincoln is making.  Even though Lincoln has Down syndrome, his life is a lot like yours.  He reads books, watches TV, loves music and playing with his friends.  Having a child with Down syndrome may come as a surprise, but its a good experience - researchers surveyed more than 3,000 family members and people with the chromosomal disorder across the country for what is believed to be one of the largest looks at life with Down syndrome.  The vast majority of parents said they have a more positive outlook on life because of their child with Down syndrome, and nearly 90 percent of siblings indicated that they feel they are better people because of their brother or sister with a developmental disability.  Nearly all of the survey respondents with Down syndrome said they are happy with their lives, themselves and their appearance!  So what is the big deal?  No child comes without some kind of "special needs" They may not carry the title of special needs, but they have them none the less. Lincolns special needs are taken care of through therapy sessions and extra one on one time with his parents!  Having Lincoln as a baby was a breeze made in heaven.  I can say this now because we are through the "tough" times and struggles from when he was an infant.  As I have blogged about the struggles we had - its a faint memory of Lincoln as a baby, we made it work the way it worked and everyone was happy!  He was an easy going baby, played by himself and had a healthy diet.  So what he had extra special needs in the way of doing things, I would take another baby like Lincoln (not saying it was easy because he has Down syndrome - and not putting Down syndrome on his name) any day!  Parker also has special needs (in my opinion).  His special needs include being on his mothers hip ALL DAY, always needing to know where his mother is and crying if he doesn't get his way - for HOURS.  I'm not writing this with the intention of putting him down, or insulting him, but just trying to state a fact that everyone has their own kind of special need. And though some children might bear titles like "special needs" its clear to anyone that every child is special and has unique needs - because that's the definition of a child.  I'm not one for putting labels on Lincoln, and in fact find it kind of offensive when others do.  I don't like hearing other people start their similar stories off by "I have one of those" or "my sisters cousin is like him" because everyone is different.  I look at Lincoln as Lincoln, not as a label for his chromosomes.  Yes, i agree that he is loving, caring and enjoyable to be around, but just like any other child, he gets angry, frustrated, throws tantrums and complains.  All in all, I guess its just the way you look at things. I enjoy looking at the bright side of things - and some people think the same wondering how I can always be so positive, but that's just the way I am, and it works for me!!  Only the future will tell what it holds for Lincoln, and we will do everything we can to get the best out of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment