Wednesday, October 22, 2014

the power of words

See... there are these things, called words.  Words are great! They help us communicate, they help us educate.  They have the power to help us learn, write, read, and talk.  Some are good, and some are bad.  They are powerful.   The words we use have the power to help or hurt.  I realize that if we allow ourselves to be hurt by what other people say, we are giving the words that have been spoken - the power that they don't deserve.  Its a tough one, because I have allowed other peoples words to get a rise out of me.  We've all heard the saying "sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me."  But words can hurt!!  As for right now, Lincoln has not yet notice when or if he may be the pun of someones joke - as far as I know.  Unfortunately, I have witnessed it.... a few times, actually.   I realize that Lincoln is not on the same level - developmentally - as his peers with a few things.  He does not speak clearly, he can't zip up his own jacket, he can't master the monkey bars at the park, and he can't ride a bike yet.  But just because his developmental level is not the same as those who surround him, doesn't mean he can't be hurt by something someone says.  I'm brought back to a specific memory that hurt me.  One that woke me up to the world out there, and how harsh it can be....  

Moments after Lincoln received a picture from his cousin while we were about to leave the park.  Lincoln beamed - as only he can beam while he proudly showed it off to a group of older girls - who only acknowledged that he couldn't speak clearly, and continued by asking him what was wrong with him, and telling him he could leave.  Lincoln - thankfully - thought nothing of it, and proceeded to the car.  It was a moment I have not forgotten yet, and defiantly a moment of learning for me. It may have been the first, but I know it isn't the last.  It was an eye opener for sure... that not everyone who sees Lincoln will see him for who he is.  Regardless of the smile plastered on his face.  It was a moment that I allowed to get the best of me.  I allowed it to hurt me... I gave the words the power they didn't deserve.  But... it was their loss.  It doesn't matter if words are yelled, uttered sarcastically or stated quietly.  We can always see the power they have, and realize how something so simply said can changes the value we have in others.
I have a dream, that when you meet Lincoln, or any other person with Down syndrome, that you will see what I see... a person.  One who has hopes and dreams and feelings and potential - one who was wonderfully designed to be exactly who they were meant to be.  I dream that by sharing my heart and story, that i may help others understand that a label can't define who they are as people.  Every person is born with two things - the desire to be loved, and the want to be accepted.  When people say hurtful things, it means they are not accepting.  People live off of the love.  And everyone just wants to be accepted....   

So watch what you say, say what you mean, and mean what you say

 - always keeping others in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment