Tuesday, October 7, 2014

seeing the beauty within

It happens quite often that I catch myself blankly starring at Lincoln.   His beauty never fails to take my breath away.  The perfect way he sits, cross legged, the way he folds his hands, the way he chews his food, and blinks his beautiful eyes. The way he sips from an open cup, the way he runs, his sharing and caring nature, and his bright smile.  The way he hugs, knows when you need a hug, puckers his lips and never fails to say please or thank you.  I could go on and on, but i think you get the point.

I wonder how I got so lucky to be given such an amazing child.  He puts more smiles on my face and brings more joy to my heart than I could have ever imagined.  Please realize that raising a child with Down Syndrome is wonderful and amazing BECAUSE having children is wonderful and amazing.  It makes you realize that your love is not based on a child's ability, but on YOUR ability to accept and give.  Imagine what your life would look like if things didn't come as easily for you as they do for others.   What if things like sitting, walking, talking, jumping, and writing were what you desperately wanted to do, but you had to work extra hard to get there.  Would you give up?  Would you get discouraged?  Accomplishments like this are what make life more rewarding for us.  These simple things that come so naturally to the typically developing child are things that we celebrate!!  The beauty of it is in the small things.  Its the dance party that happens after the letter "L" is successfully written.

Its the celebration phone call to brag after a 5 word sentence is made.  It's the pizza party to celebrate a whole month of accident free potty training.  It's the frantic cheering that I am sure every neighbour can hear after self dressing in the morning.  Society needs to look up to those who give it a little extra, who work extra hard with extra determination.  Every single day I applaud Lincoln for his determination, hard work and abilities.  
He - inspires - me -  

No comments:

Post a Comment