Friday, October 17, 2014

Fitting in - school is cool

I already know you wouldn't believe me if I said I wasn't happy....  if i said dreams don't come true, or that Down Syndrome has not blessed me.... but thats because I tell you about it, and love to share the joys God has given me...   But seriously.  I don't think this grin has left my face.  I feel like nothing can stop me, and I'm just so HAPPY!! ... well, happier - more so than usual... following yesterdays 'assessment' at Lincolns school. 
As if we are all wearing super hero shirts...
totally not planed (HA)
As Lincoln and I sat in the hall after the 3:30 bell rang,  NO WORD OF A LIE... every.single.person who passed us by - said "Hi Lincoln" .  Teachers and students of all ages.   I'm almost crying right now - and this is only the beginning.  'How in the heck does everyone know Lincoln' I thought to myself.  But shook my head - because its obvious.  He IS pretty flippin awesome.  Don't get me wrong, I knew this the whole time, and it certainly didn't take that 7 mins of waiting to realize that either... but I still can't believe it, but wait...  AS if that wasn't enough... in the meeting - which included his teacher, and ECE, they went on to say how much he 'fits in' in class.  They shared a story with me on how he isn't afraid to prove that he knows what they are talking about.  He is a visual learner.  He may not speak up, but he isn't shy about making it known he IS in fact learning.   They also shared that he used to be a bit stubborn for them, (I'm not surprised) but they started wearing 'visuals' around their neck - with images of "stand up, sit down, line up, circle time, eyes on the teacher, etc" and they are working!  Lincoln doesn't have an EA (educational assistant) in his class, so knowing that his teachers are going out of their way to make things work for them is just so perfect and comforting!!  If the visuals don't work when its time to leave the playground,  or if he's having an extra stubborn day, the other students fight (not literally) for who gets to grab Lincolns hand to lead him.  I love the innocents of children.  I really do.  






So, basically... to sum it all up, Lincoln is rocking kindergarten.  He is well liked, is learning, and is being mostly well behaved.  He still doesn't eat all his lunch - unless its pizza day,  he's only peed his pants one other time after the first day, and the kids on the bus are great and make him aware when its his stop and carry his back pack for him.  As far as the R word... well, it hasn't disappeared yet, but that doesn't mean we have stopped working on ending the word!!

I am over the moon filled with joy.  When I drop him off every morning.  I enjoy watching him as he goes thru those gates where he doesn't sit in the corner alone, but is accepted.  Where theres a line up of kids who want to say hi, or get a hug, or hold his hand, or play with him... makes me realize I must have done something right.   I can't help but to walk away with eyes filled with joy, and a heart filled with peace.   It was a rough first day, and even though it felt like my life was upside down, i continued putting one foot in front of the other, and kept walking.   I re read first day blues today.  Looking back on that feeling, everything just felt so scary, and often, at times, the things that don't go the way they're supposed to teach us how to run faster and jump higher...the end of it caught my eye...  "Give it time.... Let Lincoln show the world who he is.  Let him shine, and watch others fall in love with his loving and caring lifestyle.  Give him an extra hug everyday, and be glad that that is the end of my first day blues."    









Take on each day as it comes... and take it on with a SMILE


1 comment:

  1. Dang, I am in tears. I'm so glad you wrote this...I cried when reading your first day post because I am so nervous for Russell to start school next year, I really felt I could relate to what you wrote in it. And I cry as I read this one because I feel my heart just grabbing onto it and holding it...THIS, what you wrote here, is what I pray will happen for Russell. That he will be accepted and treated with kindness...That he will be able to follow instructions...That he will shine.

    This post gives me hope. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete