Monday, October 20, 2014

Down syndrome is NOTHING to be scared about.

Don't be afraid.  There is nothing that is TOO scary to get over.  I'm not too sure why people are so scared of Down syndrome.  I don't get why its an awkward conversation starter, or an ice breaker during silence.   I am experienced, and I'm not afraid.  
I love celebrating Down syndrome, but that doesn't mean that every new person I meet knows off the bat that my oldest has it...because I don't think that it should be a big deal.   Yet, people are afraid of it.   These days, prenatal tests are pushed upon us.  I did not have any tests done when I was pregnant with Lincoln.   I don't know why...maybe because I was 25 years old, or maybe I was asked, and I said no, or maybe I wasn't asked.... I don't remember.   BUT I do remember how when I was pregnant with Parker, the tests seemed to be at the top of the Dr. and ob.'s list on how they viewed my pregnancy.  **Its week 8, you need blood screening done, then I suggest you get a CVS  preformed** (where cells are taken from the placenta to analyze chromosomes.)  And risk your pregnancy.  
I'm not saying not to get the test done.  I guess they are done to try and avoid a delivery-day surprise of a Down syndrome diagnosis.  But, what if you do the test... and what if it comes back positive?  And you're handed the literature to read up about it.  THAT is where the fear comes.  It comes from a book, not an experience.  The news gets delivered in a ton where all risk factors for health concerns will be addressed.  I imagine the news is not going to be delivered  in a congratulatory - you've just won the lottery - tone of voice (which is how i see it now).  
Its like having the technology to detect Down syndrome is far more advanced than our understanding of what it means to have Down syndrome - or to raise a child with it.   I find that's the reason the abortion rate is still 90% following a positive diagnosis.  Every parent of a child with Down syndrome, I'm sure, feels gratitude.  

 Somewhere along the line, the understanding of human genetics, and the understanding of the human spirit gets lost.  And that is whats missing.  That is what causes fear.  We need to understand the bigger picture.  We are often only told a small part of a beautiful story - and that is why people are so scared of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment