Tuesday, October 28, 2014

blessings NOT burdens


We feel blessed (or maybe privileged might even be the best word)... not burdened,  to have a child with and extra 21st chromosome.  Lincoln has introduced us to a whole new way of looking at life.  He has opened our hearts to a bigger understanding on what it means to be human, and what it means to see every human as a blessing.  Easily said.... and I will tell you why. Lincoln has a little brother - Parker.  He is 3.5, and a bit of a brainiac (if you ask me).  Parker is Lincolns biggest role model, and undoubtedly Lincoln is Parkers biggest role model.  Yes, they fight, and Yes, they get into A LOT of trouble together, but together they are learning how to share, how to cause mischief, and are learning the importance of acceptance.  Its a shame to think that some people think having a child with a special need can be a burden on a family... but when I look at Lincoln and Parker together, I don't see one child who is a burden nor do i see one being held back due to having a sibling who happens to have a special need.  Rather, I see two boys, who get along, play nicely but also who fight and argue.  The important thing is that they think the same of each other.  I see two best friends who yes, have their own ways,  but at the end of the day they are enjoying their same favourite games, their same superhero obsession, same favourite movies, their favourite ways of annoying mom, and their simple way of doing things the way they know how.   They are already friends, role models, parners in crime and each others annoyance.... and you want to know the best part??  NONE of it has to do with Down syndrome!!  It just has to do with two brothers.   Yes, I suspect that Lincolns life may be more challenging at times than Parkers, but thats only because society has troubles with accepting him for who he is.  Despite all of his limitations, I continue to know that Lincolns life is nothing short of a blessing, and that he has played a positive role in not only our lives, but in the lives of our family and friends.   If I could offer anyone who doesn't have Down syndrome in their lives the opportunity to get to know and love someone who does, I would. 
Because maybe thats what it would take for people to realize that they are just like you and me, that they have such an appreciation and compassion and care for others.  So please tell me where the burden part comes in.  We don't see it, and we don't feel it.... And that brings me back to where I started.  I am blessed with both of my kids.  Blessed that they have each other.  Blessed we don't live a cookie cutter life, and blessed to share our story to put a message out there that every life has value. Just because our path is different than yours might be, please know ... we don't have a burden holding us back.  

1 comment:

  1. Loved this! I think that is the misconception about Ds that bothers me the most. That people think our lives are hard or that Russell is a burden to our family. He has brought us nothing but joy.

    ReplyDelete