Wednesday, October 15, 2014

what is normal anyways....

I can't relate much to the infant stages of having a baby with down syndrome, simply because my baby didn't have it (or that we knew of...)  so, that must be quite positive i suppose.  Lincoln was an easy baby. He rarely cried, loved music, ate relatively well, slept well, smiled early, laughed a lot,  snuggled anyone,  and was content doing whatever I had planned for us to do everyday.  Sounds like a I had a pretty easy going 'normal' baby to me - though to you - it may look/sound a bit different.   As I have said before, God has an interesting way of doing things.   It wasn't until 10 months after Lincoln was born,  that we found out he had an extra chromosome.  So what did this mean??  My child has Down Syndrome... is my life going to be different than it used to be? Are things going to change, is he suddenly going to be a child that is not so easy going?  What could I expect?  What I did learn right away was that it meant he would have learning delays, was more prone to certain medical conditions - including heart defects, would have low muscle tone, and would do things on a different schedule than other kids. BUT - our lives - right then and there had meant nothing different.  We still had our sweet baby boy.  He still loved music, still smiled, and laughed and hugged.  Sure we were a little scared for the future,  but what life is not challenging at times?   We were introduced to a whole new vocabulary. While we spent 5 days fighting pneumonia in the hospital
I don't know if I have ever shared this
picture before... when he had pneumonia. 
he had his thyroid tested, his heart examined, blood work done, and to be honest - off the top of my head, i can't remember all the tests of exactly what they did those 5 days... but I do remember that there was sympathy.  Sympathy in the nurses, in our paediatrician, and in our family and friends.   Sympathy that wasn't because of something terrible that was happening - but because it was a tough time.  Which is completely normal.  He got better, we went home, we were introduced to a world of people who are here to make things in his life easier.  His heart was fixed, and we are here today.  Living a life like anyone else.  Always a house to clean, an appointment to attend, chores to be done, rules and routines that need to be followed.  Sounds pretty normal to me.  I just hope that someone who needs it,  can find peace in a diagnosis.  It honestly opens a whole new window in life. The world can seem like a scary place for any

child, especially one with "special needs".  BUT we have met so many people who just want to give LOVE to Lincoln.  Just know that no one can tell you who your child WILL be, or what they are capable of doing.  Do everything you can do, and do it with a grateful heart - because it makes you more joyful... and that is what normal should be.



1 comment: